"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds." James 1:2
The past few weeks have been a trial with strange weather including earthquakes, hurricanes, and tropical storms causing flooding. There is no school today due to flooding of roads. This rarely happens in Fairfax, County. On top of the weather woes, I've had to deal with the stress and excitement of the kids beginning school. I was so looking forward to getting my house in order once children were back in school, but so far that hasn't happened. Endometriosis combined with a nasty intestinal virus knocked me off my feet this week.
I am trying to practice gratitude instead of whine about the weather, my health, and not meeting my organizational goals. I really believe that gratitude and humility are the basis for all other virtues. I am trying to do more than just "white knuckle it" and have a Pollyanna attitude. I am looking for true conversion of my heart into gratitude for all things. Peace isn't the absence of troubles or trials, it is having a sense of God's Peace and trust in His plans despite what may be happening in my life. I can often fall into the trap of treating God like a vending machine. If I put in my coins of prayers, fasting, and sacrifices, then God should send good things my way. But life isn't life like that, and God is good all the time. We just have to have the eyes of faith to see Him in all things and believe He will work some good in every situation.
So here are some things I am grateful for today:
1. I have no basement to flood. Usually I am complaining that we need a basement for the kids to play in. Today I am grateful we don't have to deal with sump pumps and flooding.
2. This is rain and not snow and ice.
3. I am feeling better, and I just have a virus, nothing serious.
4. The kids have an unplanned day off from school. I miss them when they are at school, so it is a treat to have another long weekend with them.
5. The kids were home to help me with chores this morning. The downstairs is dusted and vacuumed!
6. I am grateful that I don't have to leave home for anything today.
7. For internet and Facebook to stay connected.
8. Taking walks in the rain with my children and being amazed at the power and force of nature. Our God is an awesome God!
9. Good music to listen too and books to read on rainy days.
10. My creative children who never tire of thinking of projects, even if they do involve messes.
11. A sweet cat to cuddle with. I love our cat Hobbes.
12. A responsible son who finishes his homework even though there is no school.
13. My husband was able to get to work today safely. And that he has a job to go to.
14. The sun just came out!